Readers

Saturday, December 31, 2022



First of all, 



Before we start amassing new books for this year, I wanted to close the little contest I hold every year.

The best book I read.

I was surprised to find a heavy majority of fantasy in the book 2022 list. Not that I complain, I love the genre, but it was surprising because usually, I like to go back and forth from contemporary to paranormal and back. Well, not this year apparently. 

My list of favorites is even, though, so *shrug* I don't know.

So, with no further ado, here are the six books I enjoyed the most (winner at the end for dramatic effect, but the other books are in no order).

Covet by JR ward (Fallen Angels Series).




A fantastic book that made me discover this author. I know she's been around, but I had never read anything from her, and oh, what a shame. 

I only read the first book in the series but all the others sound just as great.

Jim Heron carries the story without taking anything away from the leading couple. But can't help but love him (not like that, come on).

The best part is that Miss Ward managed an entire series based on the seven sins, with angels and devils and the entire thing without pushing anything Churchy down my throat. 

What a relief.

And what an adventure. 


                                                      ~*~

The Black Dagger Brotherhood  by JR Ward  Books 1 to 3




Since  JR ward opened the list, I might as well keep going with her.

These books obsessed me.

That’s it.

A different way of vampire-ing. Dark. Dangerous. Very sexy. 

I devoured the first 3 books then forced myself to take a break because it was a lot, and I knew I had to take a minute.

I'm telling you though, the way they are written makes it very hard to stop because it's like one long story you just have to read.

Fantastic.


                                                          ~*~


 The Welcoming by Nora Roberts




You know where this book goes from page one but come on. Nora is my Queen and I don’t think of her religiously for the plot twists. 

With her, is about the pure pleasure of reading. 

It's an older story that aged some, here and there, but it's still so, so good. Everything about the way she writes gets me.


                                                         ~*~


Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews (Iron Covenant 1)




What a fun read. 

I know it comes after a loooong series before, one I didn't read. 

frankly, I'm happy I didn't because I read some reviews and he was a bad, bad guy before. Like, all the way through bad. I'm not sure I wouldn't have been biased against him.

With me, he had a clear slate and I thoroughly enjoyed his story.

His relationship with the heroine was the best part of it, although who (what) she was just as interesting. 

I look forward to the other books in this spin-off series. 


                                                          ~*~


Christmas in Rose bend by Naima Simone (Rose bend 2)





This is an unapologetically feely-goody story á la Virgin River.

A lot of (unreasonably) good people, all ready to take in the stranger (where does this happen????), and all helping to heal whatever emotional damage the stranger had.

The hero says everything that's good and perfect, like a manual for how a good man should be.

I mean... really?

But. 

But it’s so much in your face, the Christmas feeling so loud, and all of it is so well written, you like it. 

Damn it, but you do like it a lot, and read it all with a stupid smile on your face. 

And maybe, secretly hope such a place really exists. 

PS: extra points for how absolutely cool the heroine's haircut is.


                                                            ~*~


And here we are, to the very best of 2022. 

The winner is:

Capturing Fate by Abbie Roads


Perfect. I'm talking about everything. The writing, the passion, the suffering (So. Much. Suffering), the ending. 

Characters: great.

Villain(s): great, and how you're led to believe the super bad guy is not who he is, is simply genius.

The background story (I'm not saying anything because I don't want to spoil it) is so, so good.

But the best part? If you read enough books (and maybe write a few) you get to a point where you know where the story is going. There’s always room for some plot twist that leaves you surprised but 80% of the time, you know. 

This book? 

Oh. My. God. 

At no point, ever, I had any idea where this was going. It was one What? moment after another. I had no break. The way this story is built is simply astonishing in its unexpectedness. 

It was such a wild ride, I simply had to put it on top of my list.


What was your favorite book of the year?













3 comments

Happy New Year everyone! What was you favorite 2022 book?

REPLY

Happy New Year! I have a long list so I don't exactly have one favorite. I like all kinds of romance including paranormal. I'm currently reading After The Bite by Lynsay Sands which came out last year.

REPLY

I had the same issue. I started writing about my 2022 favorite and realized I couldn't. I needed a list! I'll check that tile out, I'm currently in vampire world myself ;D

REPLY

Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates