Readers

Saturday, May 13, 2023


Look, I can write about things other than sex. Who's impressed?

When you decide to write it pretty much has to be all or nothing. This is the hard lesson I've learned over the last year. I wanted to keep it fun, non-job oriented. I didn't want hassles or have to's or deadlines. I didn't want major commitment. Heck, I have a husband, kids and fur kids--that's enough commitment for me.
Anyway, my commitment-phobic arse is now finding I have to be 1500% dedicated in order to accomplish anything in the world of writing. Everyone is writing now. So, to make it work...you have to make the big commitment.
As you may have noticed {at least I'm hoping that you have}, I've been dedicated to posting on my personal blog. Usually this blog was last to get my attention. Everything else was first. But, not anymore.
The trick you ask?
While I'm not 100% certain, and don't let anyone tell you they are--very little is 100%, it seems the role a writer takes on is, of course, to write their books. Along with that they need to promote that writing, even if it's not finished yet. Many times, promoting your upcoming work is done by more writing. I write here, Red Lipstick Journals and Erotic Diaries. Do I feel I need more exposure than that? Of course. But with each offer you get you have to weigh the pros and cons. No one can say yes to every blogging offer that comes their way. You have to believe in what you are writing as well as have faith in the location.
After you've promoted some and wrote more with it...you see you also need to socialize now in order to be a *known force.* Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Clapper, TikTok, Blog Hops, and so on. If you aren't on the major social networks....man -- good luck. Then once you sign up...you have to start interacting and sometimes your *friend* list moves slower than you'd ever think possible. FOLLOW ME ALREADY -- RETWEET ME ALREADY -- FRIEND ME ALREADY
Every time you make a little progress you have to go back and go through it all again. But, this time you need to try to add more networks. Where was that author forum you had heard about? Wasn't there some new network that allowed you to link your recent blog posts? It's a constant no win game to try to stay ahead on networking.
Then there are promotional items. Business cards, book marks, T-Shirts, canvas bags, magnets, key chains and so on. So, before you've even published your first book....you've spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours of time just trying to promote it.
So far, I've only invested in business cards. You know where they are? In the boxes they came in. I've not used one. I opened the boxes, looked at them, checked for accuracy and put them back.
Where on earth, especially as an controversial, explicit, erotic writer, do I pass these cards out at? "Hi, I'm Abbye and I write killers and erotica. I cover m/m, m/f. Here's my card. Visit my blog, but make sure you watch for little eyes because of adult content. And don't forget to check out my books -- available soon."
Ummm......WHAT?
So tell me -- do you have promotional stuff? What kind? And if you're an erotic writer, how and where do you pass out your cards and goodies?
And, don't forget....
write...promote...socialize...repeat

1 comments:

I'm 100% online. I don't have any business cards or such. I have a difficult enough time making myself write my stupid newsletter! I'm not very good at the promotion aspect of the writing game, honestly.

REPLY

Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates