Readers

Monday, September 11, 2023

 This is Part Two of a series on British Folklore and Superstition, with a focus on how it could be used in writing as well as some of the quirks. 

I was looking through the list of legendary creatures on Wikipedia (which I recommend for any writer with any sort of supernatural connection) and I saw the entry about the Asrai. They are described as creatures of water, like an aquatic fairy, ancient and wise, and as being pale and gentle. The old fairy stories have the Fair Folk wading through rivers of blood so that seems a little unlikely, but I suppose that it’s possible.

Folklore is a funny thing. My mother was possibly the most superstitious person in the world ever and I never heard anything about the Asrai, described as being from Cheshire and Shropshire. I grew up in Cheshire, though possibly the wrong part of Cheshire and this was something completely new to me. The entry also referred to Bala Lake, or Llyn Tegid, which is as full of folklore as it is of water and includes a mysterious monster and a drowned town.

The story on Wikipedia sounded so sad. A fisherman caught an Asrai which pleaded for its life in a foreign language. The fisherman covered it with seaweed and its voice grew fainter and fainter as the creature melted away in the sunlight until there was just a puddle of water. It was such a vivid image, but I couldn’t think of anything like it in my childhood. Then I remembered Jinny Greenteeth. I suspect that the Asrai are the polite Victorian version of the stories that went around the playground.

Jinny Greenteeth was a monster, a creature that lurked in ponds and canals, lurking underneath the algae covered water. We were all warned that if we got too close to those green covered waters then Jinny Greenteeth would grab us and pull us under the water to drown. I heard a few different versions, many of them involving cousins or distant friends of the storyteller. The stories were gruesome, vivid and as good a way as any of keeping young kids away from weed-strangled water as any. When I had a quick check for Jinny Greenteeth, her geographical range covered Cheshire and Shropshire as well as Liverpool and Lancashire.

My mind has a habit of wandering away without adult supervision, and I started thinking about the Asrai and Jinny Greenteeth being the same. When you think about people in general, they come in all sorts of personalities. You can have awful, dreadful dictators and serial killers who are the same species, the same type of creature as Bob Ross or Mister Rogers. Perhaps the Jinny Greenteeth is the Asrai version of Ted Bundy or the Yorkshire Ripper. Would there be Asrai tasked to deal with the rogues? Would there be Jinny Greenteeth that realised the error of their ways and wanted to turn away from their murderous path? Would former comrades in the water suddenly become bitter enemies? Would mortals be asked to intervene in deadly battles?

 I'd love to hear what you think about this. Have you heard stories about water fairies? How would you use it in a story? Thank you for reading.

Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates