Readers

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

         Today, as I was rummaging around folklore, I learned a new word – apotropaic. It means something that averts bad luck, like crossing your fingers. Growing up in a superstitious family, I learned a lot of these. One popular one was to touch your collar whenever you saw an ambulance. The rhyme was ‘touch your collar, never swaller [swallow], never catch a fever.’ One day I decided it was ridiculous and stopped grabbing frantically at my neckline whenever I saw an ambulance. The next week I got hit on the head with a golf club and needed 12 stitches. Despite that, I refused to keep touching my collar but my uncle stopped trying to teach me golf.

There are a lot of these superstitions around. For example, if you spill salt then you’re supposed to throw a pinch over your shoulder – your left shoulder, mind! – to ward against the devil who would be at your left side. Salt was important in preserving life so waste was awful and you may as well use it to protect yourself.

I talked about Witch Balls in another blog post here, and they are also apotropaic, keeping away the evil eye and malevolent intentions. Horseshoes are apotropaic, keeping the Fair Folk away, especially if they are nailed in place with the points up to stop the luck pouring out. Looking back to the times before antibiotics, sanitation, decent food and widespread understanding of basic science, it must have felt like living under siege. Fevers, blight, storms and all the many trials of living in a primitive society were feared and attributed to curses or bad luck. Anything that kept the bad luck at bay must have been a huge comfort.


There are a lot of these little rituals around. For example, after being strongly encouraged by my superstitious (and utterly lovely) grandmother, I never feel comfortable putting my left shoe on first. I can’t stir cake mix the ‘wrong’ way. I break all egg shells so that the witches can’t go to sea in them (which seems somewhat implausible and I should really crush them up and use them against slugs instead). And if I make tea, I never, ever stir the pot. I have also been known to touch wood for luck.

There are vast amounts of folklore surrounding trees and woods, of course. One of the best known shields against ill wishing and witches is rowan wood, a belief that is not confined to the British Isles. It’s a powerful protection against fairies and witches, especially if you can tie it into a five pointed star with red thread. There are all sorts of rules about gathering the wood, depending on area, but it seems to be the psychic equivalent of Kevlar.

As a writer, my mind goes to all sorts of places. I enjoy superstitions, but I don’t really believe in them. But what if they were real? What if we found ourselves under siege from the Fair Folk or vampires or fictionally evil witches? Rowan would be in high demand. I imagine that there would be plantations of the stuff. It grows pretty well on poor soil and uplands so it would be a real money spinner in some of the wilder parts of the country. Would there be fakes? Would there be a black market in rowan tree seedlings? There have to be stories there.

Let’s take it down another path. What if someone in our world, or a world that is perceived as non-magical, were making what they thought were fake protections but which actually worked? Would there be a nervous Wiccan standing outside their shop as it opened looking desperate? Would a crack team of paranormal allies be sent in to neutralise the supply of these dangerous devices? Would they start wondering why their house was the only one in the street which wasn’t suffering from mildew, dry rot and subsidence? After all, an unscrupulous property developer rumoured to dabble in magic couldn’t possibly be a cause, could they? Should they put their prices up?


For writers who enjoy writing about the paranormal, sometimes it’s incredibly inspiring to look at the eBay metaphysical section with the mindset of a writer. After all, I had a quick glimpse today and saw that you could buy a ‘ready to make’ rowan wand for £3.50 plus post and packing – all you had to do was sand it and wax it. On one hand you have the opportunity to make a wand deeply personal and attuned to you as you meditate and prepare it under the conditions that are important to you. On the other hand, someone just sold you a twig. There are so many stories just there if you sit back and think about them.

I’d love to hear if you have any superstitions to share and your opinion on their influence. Every honest comment is a hug.

Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates