Readers

Thursday, November 23, 2023

 

“So, your ex-wife hated this place,” Helen said as they pulled up outside the large, neglected house. “Is that why you only told me about it after we got married and had gone on honeymoon?”

Niall shrugged. “I didn't want to risk losing you. She said it felt haunted,” he said. “And that it was full of dust traps.”

Helen stared at him. “Your flat is full of dust traps,” she said, before grimacing. She had heard all about the ex-wife from Niall’s friends. “I get it. Your flat is full of dust traps now but she wouldn’t let you have them before.”

Niall looked embarrassed. “It sort of crept up on me.”

Helen got out of the car and looked around. “This could be a lovely place,” she said. “It’s quiet, of course, and away from town, but it could be a really nice place to live.”

“I always liked coming here,” Niall said. “Uncle Albert was always kind.”

“But he didn’t like your ex-wife either,” Helen guessed. “Sometimes I almost feel sorry for her, but then I remember the stories – and that’s just the stories with evidence.”

“I’ll show you around,” Niall said. “Uncle Albert took me in after my parents died, and I spent a lot of time here when I was a teenager.”

Helen followed him up the shallow stone steps and watched him unlock the door. “And this is why your ex-wife left you?” she asked. She turned and looked back over the untidy grounds. “It’s not so bad from the outside,” she said. “What’s inside?”

Niall shrugged. “It’s nothing special,” he said carefully as he stepped into the hall.

Helen followed him in. The hall was wide and airy and there was a faint hint of polish in the air. Elegant pictures lined the walls and the wooden floor gleamed. “It doesn’t look neglected,” she said.

“I have cleaners come in once a month to keep down the dust,” Niall said. “And a gardener comes in now and then.”

Helen pushed open a door. “Is this a library?” she asked.

Niall followed her. “It’s Uncle Albert’s study,” he said. “He read a lot.”

Helen looked around the spacious room. Bookshelves lined two walls and tucked into alcoves either side of the fireplace and the bay window. A large mahogany desk was set to get the best view of the garden through the window and several overstuffed armchairs were set around a side table to make a perfect space for reading. She pulled out a random book from the nearest shelf and raised an eyebrow as she flicked through the first pages. “This is a first edition of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea,” she said. “That’s worth a fortune!” She placed it reverently back on the shelf.

“Uncle Albert had quite a few antiques and stuff,” Niall said. “She was talking about selling them all, but I have such good memories of them.” He smiled sadly. “I remember reading that book when I had chickenpox and Uncle Albert sat with me in this room. He fed me ice cream and soup to keep me going.”

Helen smiled. “Then we keep this the same,” she said. “It looks like a great room. You’d have plenty of space to work and I could bring in an extra desk.”

“You’d move here?” Niall asked.

Helen shrugged. “I suppose it depends on the rest of the house,” she said. “But why not? You love this place, I can tell.” She looked around with appreciation. “I don’t mind trying with an open mind.”

Niall shuffled nervously next to the fireplace. “You’ve probably heard a lot of stories about my ex-wife,” he said.

“And the divorce,” Helen said. “Apparently the divorce was epic as well.”

“You see, everyone thought that Uncle Albert had money,” Niall said. “I know that he invested in antiques, so a lot of money must have gone on that. And he never seemed to be short of cash. He paid for a private school for me and paid my way through university.”

“I remember hearing about how she screamed for the missing money in the hearing,” Helen said. “And then got fined for contempt of court.”

Niall nodded. “It was complicated. We hadn’t been married long and friends dug up evidence that she’d been cheating all the way through, I managed to stop her getting anything from the house and contents. But the thing that made me go for divorce was that picture.” He nodded at the painting, snug in a thick frame and hanging over the fireplace. “It’s a still life celebrating the Dutch beating the British in a naval battle. Uncle Albert’s will said that he’d put his money in the picture, but it’s just a print.” He sighed. “I know he spent quite a bit on other paintings, but that isn’t worth much. If he invested in it heavily, he would have wasted the money. But I’ve always liked that picture, you know? It’s sort of complicated and brooding.” He looked at Helen. “I could change it if you wanted, but I’d hate to lose it completely. Anyway, my ex-wife lost it completely and screamed that it would take ages to sell all the antiques and get her hands on her fair share of the money.”

Helen looked at him thoughtfully. “You know that I’m the practical one out of the two of us?” she said. “You know that you get carried away while I deal with the basic, practical side of things?”

Niall nodded. “But I don’t think it will help much here,” he said. “It’s all the clues that need to be put together. I mean, the word Mercurious could refer to Mercury or the messenger of the gods. So I checked in and around all the phones and the letter rack. The violin could be a reference to music and I got someone out to check the old piano in the parlour, but there was nothing.” He shook his head. “There’s a lot of clues and ideas to explore.”

Helen sighed and fetched a step stool from a corner. “Don’t worry about that,” she said as she climbed the small library step and reached for the picture. “The clue is misleading.” She lifted down the picture and carefully placed it face down on the desk. “I bet Uncle Albert loathed your ex-wife as well,” she said. “And wanted to keep his money out of her hands.”

“He didn’t like her at all,” Niall said. “He would have loved you. But what are you doing with the picture?”

Helen picked up a letter opener and prised back the tags holding the back of the picture in place. “You think like a poet,” she said, grunting a little with the effort. “And your ex-wife thought like a thief and a swindler.” She pushed back the last tag and lifted off the backing board. “I suspect I think like your Uncle Albert.”

Niall looked confused. “Do you think it’s an original?” he asked.

Helen pointed at the papers tucked between the print and the backing board. “That looks like a bank pass book. Those look like certificates of some sort.” She picked up a sheet of paper. “And this is a list of bank accounts with all the details.”

Niall finally looked down and slowly pulled out the paperwork. He flicked open the pass book. “There’s a lot of money in here,” he whispered.

Helen smiled. “And it’s Uncle Albert still keeping you safe,” she said. “Because the money was in the picture.”


1 comments:

Awww, I like this story!! She's so calm and kind, and then she finds the money. It's nice there's a list of bank accounts with details. Could have used one of those after my dad died. He refused to leave a list of all his accounts. One of the peculiarities of someone who lived through the Depression (US) and WWII.

REPLY

Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates