Readers

Thursday, December 21, 2023

 

Image by Bruno from Pixabay

I've never understood the attitude that cash and gift cards are somehow an "insult." I don't expect everyone to know exactly what I need. It would be narcissistic of me to think that on top of dealing with their own stuff, people need to be paying attention to whatever subtle cues I may drop about gifts that make my day. In fact, I really don't need more things. Money, that's what I want.

My ex-husband's housemate (former live-in caregiver for his late father) wanted to give Christmas gifts to my son and me, which was completely unexpected. She got me a water distiller (I need distilled water for my CPAP machine) and a nice pair of pajamas for my son (he's been wanting a decent pair of pajamas.) 

It's lovely to get nice surprises. However, I also appreciated the cash my mother gave me for Christmas. I appreciated the fact that she listened and didn't get us more unwanted stuff. My mother is infamous for giving knick-knacks. I have boxes and boxes of things to go through. I don't need more knick-knacks. 

My son and I aren't exchanging gifts this year. My brother and I are also not exchanging gifts. Money is simply too tight.

There's nothing wrong with this either.




Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates