Readers

Saturday, December 9, 2023

 

Image by John Hain from Pixabay

The question I'm answering today is what's an issue or cause you care about that finds your way into your writing?

People have commented that a strong theme of diversity and acceptance characterizes my stories. I imagine this stems from the fact that I've always felt like the mask on the left describes me. I appreciate people's efforts to include me in activities, but I know they are just being nice and I don't really fit in with the group.

You won't find Gary Stu and Mary Sue in my stories. My characters are all flawed and many of them are not conventionally attractive. The heroes of my Tales From the Dreamlands series are literal ghoulies, ghosties, and long-legged beasties. Actually, the ghost has long legs, and the beastie is a gigantic cone-shaped creature with two heads and a snail-like foot, but you get the picture. They are all things that go bump in the night and most people would find them frightening. 

 My writing isn't always comfortable. I include difficult issues in my stories. It is more important to me to open people's eyes to the pain caused by abuse against those who are different than to gain popularity. 

That I'd still love to change the world so nobody else ever has to be mired in anxiety and self-loathing the way I've been is the truth beating at the heart of many of my stories.







Hazardous To Your Sanity . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates